Master Funakoshi's Twenty Precepts
1. Karate-do wa rei ni hajimari, rei ni owaru koto wo wasuruna -- In karate, start with a bow and finish with a bow.
2. Karate ni sente nashi -- No initiative attack in Karate.
3. Karate wa gi no tasuke -- Karate is a great assistance to justice.
4. Maxu jiko wo shire, shikoshite tao wo shire -- Know yourself at first and then others.
5. Gijitsu yoi shinjutsu -- Spirit first: techniques second.
6. Kokoro wa hanatom kuto wo yosu -- Be ready to release your mind.
7. Wazawai wa getai ni shozu -- Accidents come out of idleness.
8. Dojo nomino karate to omou na -- Do not think that you can learn karate only in the Dojo.
9. Karate no shugyo wa issho de aru -- It will take your entire life to learn karate.
10. Arai-yuru mono wo karate-ka seyo, soko ni niyo-mi ari -- Karate-ize everything.
11. Karate wa yu no goto shi taezu netsudo wo ataezareba moto no mizu ni kaeru -- Karate is just like hot water. If you do not give heat constantly, it will again become cold water.
12. Katsu kangae wa notsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo -- Do not think you have to win. Think, rather, that you do not have to lose.
13. Tekki ni yotte tenka seyo -- Victory depends on your ability to tell vulnerable points from involnerable ones.
14. Tattakai wa kyo-jitsu no siji ikan ni ari -- Move according to your opponent.
15. Hito no te ashi wo ken to omoe -- Consider your opponent's hands and legs as you would sharp swords.
16. Danshi mon wo izureba hyakumon no tekki ari -- As soon as you leave home for work, think that millions of opponents are waiting for you.
17. Kamae wa shoshinsha ni ato wa shizentai -- Low stance for beginners; natural stance for advanced students.
18. Kata wa tadashiku jissen wa betsu mono -- Practicing a KATA is one thing and engaging in a real fight is another.
19. Chikara no kyojaku. karada no shinshuku. wazu no kankyo wo wasuruna -- Do not forget (1) strength and weakness of power, (2) bending down and stretching up of body, (3) slowness and speed of techniques.
20. Tsune ni shinen kufu seyo -- Devise at all times.